Dom

Dom

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

About Me

Thanks for reading my blog. I thought that this would be a great way to express my daily frustrations/adventures and milestones.

Here is a little bio about my life.
I grew up in Westchester County, you know where there are million dollar homes everywhere you look and you pay to park for almost everywhere. At 22 i moved to Albany, NY for a job and other bad reasons but i am very happy that i did!

At 25 i met the love and loves of my life. Tom and I met at work in Albany, after 6 months we were engaged and 9 months after that married. (Here comes the complicated part. Tom is 15 years older than me and was a widower. His wife died of cancer the year before we met and left behind 2 boys, Jonathan and Nathanial.) And 3 months after we got married i was pregnant! So there i was 26, married with 2 1/2 kids.

Let me say that our transition into a family was not as bad as i thought it was but trust me it was not easy. What did a 26 yr old know about teenage boys and mood swings? Basically nada!

So then comes Dominic. He was born in July of 2006. I had a very normal pregnancy and bf for about 9 months, that was always fun with the boys and their friends coming in and out of our house btw!

At about 16 months i realized that something was a bit different with my bundle of joy! Dom acted very to him self or overly clingy to me. He got very high anxiety with other people/kids. My mom and dad used to say how i was too over protective and held him too much. But, i was like, why wouldnt i? He was so adorable and probably the only baby that i would have.

At 18 months i contacted Early Intervention and got Dom evaluated. He was then approved for Special Education therapy. I used to call it behavioral therapy since i hated the word "special ed". After a few months Dom started speech therapy. That went ok but then therapists thought that he should then be evaluated by a developmental therapist. Dev Ped? SCARY!! Is there something wrong with my kid?In my heart i knew there was something up but i didnt want to hear it but i never stopped getting Dom the most therapy that i could.

As January of 2009 approached i was a nervous wreck, our dev ped appt was coming up. Tom couldnt even talk to me, i was always on the internet looking up autism links, looking at different therapies to try and what our next step would be. On the day of our meeting i was a complete mess but tried to keep it together. As soon as we walked into Dr. Nordhauser's office Dom started crying and yelling and clinging to me and basically didnt stop till we left the room. The Dr. tried to read to him his favorite book but that didnt help at all. By the end of the meeting the doctor told us what she observed and said that he has Aspergers Syndrome, just like that. I still get choked remembering that day and the words that came out of her mouth.

So,fastforward to today. Dom is 3 1/2 and in an integrated special ed program at one of the best pre schools on earth, is talking so mcuh more and actually socializing, as best as he could.

This blog is a way to show the world some of the experiences that i go through with my 3, 13 and 16 year olds. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment